The emerging IEEE 802.11ax standard, also known as Wi-Fi 6 by the Wi-Fi Alliance, promises to be a “game-changing” technology for today’s WLANs.
The IEEE 802.11ax technology improvements will focus on network efficiency and traffic management in an effort to clean up the congestion in high density venues, increasing capacity up to 4X. Despite the increase of wireless speeds over many years, high-density environments are experiencing congestion due to the number of connected client devices and the requirement for more wireless access points. Both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands will see benefits, though it is recommended that IEEE 802.11ax operate in the 5GHZ band. Additionally, IEEE 802.11ax introduces OFDMA (Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiple Access). This includes many other technologies, such as IEEE 802.11ac Wave 2 MIMO and MU-MIMO, which improve traffic efficiency and throughput.
Full adoption of the IEEE 802.11ax will take place in 2019, however some products are shipping now.
Who will benefit?
Any high-density venue with large numbers of access points and Wi-Fi-enabled devices, such as:
- Shopping malls
- Citywide Wi-Fi
- Theme parks
- Dense suburban
- Higher education
Will future IEEE 802.11 technology advancements potentially create challenges for the physical deployment of the APs?
Oberon continues to keep up with the changing needs of the wireless industry, as well as follow access point form factor changes. What we have learned is that as IEEE 802.11ax advances toward greater performance, technology advancements may require more internal antennas, potentially increasing the size of many popular APs.
How can Oberon help you future-proof your wireless access point physical deployment?
Oberon is ready to help! If you are looking for a future-ready 2 x 2 ceiling locking enclosure, Oberon’s Wi-Tile™ 1047 series is what you need. The Wi-Tile™ 1047 series will satisfy your suspended ceiling installations with aesthetics, ease of installation, security, and simplify serviceability. In addition, the availability of AP-specific interchangeable doors provides an economical migration path for upgrading to new wireless access points in the future.
Featured 1047 Models
Oberon’s Wi-Tile™ – for 2 x 2 suspended ceiling locking enclosures
- Designed with sleek professional aesthetics, the Model 1047 Series offers you the size you need now and in the future
- A wide variety of doors are available with various options
- Simply replacing the door at a later date, to fit the next generation access point, will help streamline your deployment, while helping to reduce labor time
- The Model 1047 is UL listed for low voltage (PoE) applications, and designed to meet NEC300-22 and 300-23 for plenum installations
- Enclosure back-box is an effective dust barrier to help simplify hospital ICRA procedures as well as provide space to stow excess cabling and connectivity components
To see more Model 1047 options, visit Oberon Model 1047 series.